Know about Nicobarese Tribe of India, Origin, History : The Nicobarese people are an indigenous tribe of India, located primarily in the Nicobar Islands off the east coast of India. The Nicobarese have a distinct culture and language that has been passed down through generations. Here are some key facts about this fascinating tribe:
Know about Nicobarese Tribe of India, Origin, History
- The Nicobarese people believe in animism, which is the belief that spirits inhabit natural objects such as animals, plants, rocks, and other items. They also believe in ancestor worship and often pay tribute to their deceased family members by offering food or other gifts while visiting cemeteries or shrines.
- There are approximately 5,000 people belonging to the Nicobarese tribe living on six islands of the Great Nicobar Island group.
- Nicobarese is the official language of the tribe and it has two dialects: Car Nicobarese and Southern Nicobarese.
- The traditional dress of the Nicobarese people includes a long red or yellow skirt (called a “dhoti”) for men and a sarong for women. They also use body painting, beads, shells, feathers and other items to decorate their clothing.
- Traditional crafts of the tribe include weaving, pottery making, basketry, wood carving, jewelry making and tattooing.
- The primary source of sustenance for the Nicobarese people is fishing with nets made from palm leaves and bamboo. They also engage in hunting, gathering, and farming of vegetables, fruits, coconuts and betel nuts.
- The Nicobarese practice an ancient form of martial art called “tangma” which is a combination of hand-to-hand combat with weapons such as swords, sticks and spears.
- Music is also an important part of the Nicobarese culture. Traditional instruments include drums, flutes, cymbals and small gongs made from metal or wood.
- Religion plays an important role in the life of the Nicobarese people as well. Their traditional beliefs are animistic but they also incorporate elements of Hinduism into their rituals and ceremonies.
- Nicobarese ceremonies involve ritual dances, chanting, feasting and giving offerings to the spirits of ancestors.
- The Nicobarese people are a unique tribe that continue to preserve their culture and traditions in spite of changing times. Their way of life is fascinating and they are an integral part of Indian history. It is important to learn about these indigenous people in order to understand their culture better and appreciate the unique contribution they make to India’s rich heritage.